Teacher of the Year
BEN’s Outstanding Teacher Awards recognize the accomplishments of exceptional teachers in all levels of Bermuda’s public school system and honours one teacher as the overall recipient of the annual Outstanding Teacher prize.
All educators in Bermuda may submit one nomination which are considered by a nominating committee consisting of experienced educators from elementary and senior schools.
Finalists are chosen by the committee based on the following qualities and skills:
- They are highly skilled in the teaching craft and demonstrate expertise in their content area or area of specialization.
- They inspire students of all backgrounds and abilities to learn.
- They are regarded as leaders in their school and have the respect and admiration of students, parents and colleagues.
- They go above and beyond to inspire youth, either through leadership activities in school or through a role in the community.
Finalists must agree to be observed in their classroom when three members of the BEN team will assess the effectiveness of their lessons and their classroom environment. The following ingredients in addition to the “wow factor” should also be present:
- The lesson is well planned with clear learning objectives.
- The classroom is well organized and there is evidence of good/systematic organization of time, space and materials.
- The lesson is engaging and the teacher is energetic and passionate about the topic.
- The teacher uses a variety of teaching strategies and take advantage of unplanned teaching moments.
- The teacher demonstrates a positive and caring attitude and differentiates for varying abilities.
- The teacher builds relational trust with their students and effectively handles any behavioral challenges.
The winner of the award takes part in interviews and plays a role in representing and advocating for the profession, helping BEN to engage and inspire other teachers and community stakeholders.
Nominees must be currently employed in the BPSS and must have worked in the public education system for three years.
Teacher of the Year Past winners list
- 2017 Kelly Donville, Dellwood Middle School
- 2018 Sharmaine Nusum, TN Tatem Middle School
- 2019 Alandra Swan, Francis Patton
- 2020 Diamond Outerbridge, The Berkeley Institute