It started in 2017
The annual BEN Teacher Awards has been recognising the accomplishments of exceptional teachers since 2017. Every year, our charity enjoys the thrill of planning an elegant annual gala that brings the private, public, and third sectors together to engage and inspire teachers and community stakeholders. This year BEN will present an exciting virtual event that educators and supporters can enjoy from the comfort of home.
Who is an Outstanding Teacher?
- They are highly skilled and demonstrate expertise in their content area or area of specialisation.
- They inspire students of all backgrounds and abilities to learn.
- They are regarded as leaders in their school and have the respect and admiration of students, parents and colleagues.
- They go above and beyond to inspire youth, either through leadership activities in school or through a role in the community.
Outstanding Teacher 2021
The Outstanding Teacher Award 2021 will recognise a teacher who has demonstrated resilience through the Covid-19 pandemic. We want to hear about a colleague who has stepped up to the plate, catered to the emotional wellbeing of their colleagues, students, families and community despite the virtual barriers that were put in place during the pandemic.
Past Outstanding Teacher Award Winners
- 2021 To Be Announced
- 2020 Diamond Outerbridge, The Berkeley Institute
- 2019 Alandra Swan, Francis Patton
- 2018 Sharmaine Nusum, TN Tatem Middle School
- 2017 Kelly Donville, Dellwood Middle School
All educators in Bermuda may submit one nomination which are considered by a nominating committee consisting of experienced educators from elementary and senior schools.
Nominees must be currently employed in the BPSS and must have worked in the public education system for three years.